This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8355 / 50°50'7"N
Longitude: -0.7747 / 0°46'28"W
OS Eastings: 486381
OS Northings: 104707
OS Grid: SU863047
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.GZG
Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.N06
Entry Name: Former Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Last Amended: 29 January 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300074
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Built-Up Area: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chichester St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
In the following item:
1. ST J0HNS STREET
972 (East Side)
Former Church of St John the
SU 8604 NW 4/191 5.7.50
The name should be amended to read: Former Church of St John the Evangelist
The grade should be amended from B to read: I
The description should be amended to read:.
1812-3, by James Elmes (1782-1862) of Oving, Sussex. Very remarkable survival from
pre-Ecclesiologcal and pre-0xford Movement days. White brick partly rendered slate
roof. Elongated octagon in plan. Pedimented W front with door in stone surrond
of pilasters and entablature and, above that, an arched window set it a atone eared
and moulded surround and with a blind balustrade beneath. The angles left and right
each with a porch into the staircases up to the galleries. As the cupola, a miniature
version of the Anoragic monument in Athens. To the sides, arched windows. At the
rear,, the vestry. Interior with galleries on slender Egyptianate iron columns forming
a rectangle within the octagonal grace. In front of the altar, which is a modern-table,
towers a 3-decker pulpit, its.readers' desks square and one higher than the other, the
pulpit proper circular and carried on a spirally fluted stem. Above and behind that, on
the gallery, the organ.
ST JOHN'S STREET
Church of St John the
SU 8604 NW 4/191 5.7.50.
1812-13. James Elmes, architect. White brick. Octagonal building
with wider facets on north and south sides. West end with pediment and
cupola. Round-headed windows. In north-west and south-west facets,
splayed single-storeyed porches. Galeries inside.
Nos 4 to 6 (consec) and Church of St John form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8636904705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings