This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8366 / 50°50'11"N
Longitude: -0.7768 / 0°46'36"W
OS Eastings: 486227
OS Northings: 104835
OS Grid: SU862048
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.GFM
Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.F68
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299870
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chichester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SSU 8604 NW CHICHESTER EAST STREET
Church of St Andrew
05.07.50 Ox Market
Church, now Arts Centre. C13, C14 and C15; C19 alterations; restored and converted 1971-6; further addition 1989. Pebble-dash render with stone quoins at east end and ashlar dressings; plain tile roof; bellcote has C20 weatherboard and wood shingles; 1989 addition of rubblestone brought to course with plain tile roofs and glazed gables with wooden mullions. 5-bay nave and chancel in one with north vestry and bellcote with broached spire at west end; paired-gabled addition on north side. West end: large diagonal butresses with tile offsets. Pointed archway with panelled double-door inside. Above it, a 2-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould. Gable oculus. Set in wall on left is probably early-C16 wall monument depicting family and angels. South side: nave has two 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, that on right with C20 door inserted below it; two badly-weathered re-set wall monuments, probably early C16 and C17. Chancel has lancet. East end: restored window of 3 stepped lancets. North side: altered vestry conceals chancel lancet and tudor-arched priest's door and retains cusped 1-light south window with decorative c. 1774 wall monument reset below. Nave has one window of 2 lights with foiled heads and quatrefoil and a 2-light Perpendicualr window with panel tracery and hoodmould. Interior: trefoil-headed stoup. Mid-C18 wall monument with simple classical architrave. Roof has coved cornice and C19 ribbed boarded roof with floral bosses over chancel. Inserted west gallery.
A simple C13 church with later-medieval features.
Listing NGR: SU8622604832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings