This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8874 / 50°53'14"N
Longitude: -0.3291 / 0°19'44"W
OS Eastings: 517623
OS Northings: 111093
OS Grid: TQ176110
Mapcode National: GBR HLS.7M5
Mapcode Global: FRA B66R.FMJ
Entry Name: Newham House and the Two Medieval Arches in the Garden
Listing Date: 15 March 1955
Last Amended: 9 May 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 298778
Location: Steyning, Horsham, West Sussex, BN44
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Steyning
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Steyning St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
STEYNING SHEEP PEN LANE
Newham House and the
two medieval arches in the
(Formerly listed as
TQ 1711 24/163 15.5.55
Large L-shaped house. The oldest portions are the east wing and the north end
of the south wing. C17 or earlier, timber-framed but refaced. Queen-post roof
inside. The main or entrance fronts faces north and is an C18 refacing. Two
storeys. Three windows. Red brick. Wooden dentilled cornice. Brick parapet.
Glazing bars intact. Two storeyed porch with four-centred stone doorway. Horsham
slab roof. The south front of the east wing has been refaced with modern brick
and tiles and has modern windows. Gable at east end. The south end of the south
wing is of higher elevation than the remainder. C18. Two storeys and attic.
Two windows. Red brick with tile-hung half-nipped gable. Two sash windows with
glazing bars on first floor. French windows below with semi-circular fanlights.
To the cast of the end of this wing is a medieval stone arch in the garden with
two cinque-foil-headed divisions and a stone mullion between. There is another
similar archway in the front garden. These were originally windows in the south
aisle of theparish church which were removed here when this was demolished.
Listing NGR: TQ1762311093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings