This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.974 / 50°58'26"N
Longitude: -0.5208 / 0°31'14"W
OS Eastings: 503948
OS Northings: 120438
OS Grid: TQ039204
Mapcode National: GBR GJ1.TBT
Mapcode Global: FRA 96SJ.QXC
Entry Name: Barn at Pythingdean House
Listing Date: 9 May 1980
Last Amended: 28 January 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 298546
Location: Pulborough, Horsham, West Sussex, RH20
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Pulborough
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Pulborough St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
PULBOROUGH COOMBELANDS LANE
Barn at Pythingdeam
Manor to east of the
Shall be replaced by:- COOMBELANDS LANE
Barn at Pythingdean
Barn, late-C18 or early-C19, with C20 alterations and additions (the latter are not of special interest).
DESCRIPTION: The barn is constructed of dressed stone to the external elevations, roughly-coursed rubble stone within, and with a hipped, slate roof. There are dressed stone quoins at the barn's corners and to the recessions at the centre of each of the long elevations, where there would originally have been full-height double-doors. There are now smaller double-doors with modern brick jambs on the eastern elevation; the doors to the west are now infilled with breeze blocks. Original to the barn (they appear on the tithe map) are two perpendicular ranges to the north and south, forming a small yard to the west of the main barn. That to the north has a part lean-to, part half-hipped roof, and a doorway with a dressed keystone and lintel facing east; further to the north is a later extension of the 1960s. That to the south also comprises a lean-to and a range with a half-hipped roof, both with dressed stone walls. The southern range running perpendicular to the barn has been refurbished inside. Inside the main barn, the timber roof trusses have been renewed and there have been various repairs and infill of former openings.
HISTORY: The barn originally formed part of the estate of the neighbouring house, now known as Pythingdean Farm House. The barn appears on the tithe map for the area of 1841 and on later Ordnance Survey maps. Pythingdean Farm House is C17 in origin, with a Georgian range to the south-east and outbuildings of various dates. Pythingdean House is a much later building, dating to the second half of the C20, which lacks special interest.
The barn has been in the same ownership as Pythingdean House since 1968. At around this time an extension was added to the north of the barn and alterations made to the interior. In the 2000s, a single storey extension was constructed in the area to the west of the barn, abutting its western elevation. Neither of these extensions have special interest.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The barn at Pythingdean is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* age and rarity: late C18 or early C19 date, appearing on the 1841 tithe map
* group value: the neighbouring Grade II-listed farmhouse and the barn form a strong historic group within the setting of the agricultural landscape with which they are traditionally associated.
Listing NGR: TQ0394820440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings