This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.81 / 50°48'36"N
Longitude: -0.4435 / 0°26'36"W
OS Eastings: 509761
OS Northings: 102316
OS Grid: TQ097023
Mapcode National: GBR GL8.2PL
Mapcode Global: FRA 96YY.R18
Entry Name: Bramble Cottage
Listing Date: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297890
Location: Ferring, Arun, West Sussex, BN12
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Ferring
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Ferring St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 0802 FERRING SEA LANE
28/128 Number 50,
House, later two cottages and currently house. Circa 1635 end chimneystack house with upper front and side windows early C19 and C20 ground floor front windows. Knapped flint with red brick dressings and thatched roof with end brick chimneystacks. Two storeys; 3 windows. First floor of front elevation has early C19 6-pane casements, ground floor has C20 casements. Plank door and C20 penticed porch with chamfered piers. Plinth. Left side elevation has 3 early C19 pointed arched windows. Rear elevation has C20 casement and flat-roofed C20 extension. Interior has north room with roughly hewn ceiling beams and open fireplace with tiled back having beehive-shaped bread oven and proving cupboard. Stone flagged vestibule with exposed beams. South room has C17 chamfered spine beam and open fireplace lined with red tiles. Some early C19 plank doors, exposed beams and some internal walls made of a type of mud. A house with the same garden size garden is recorded in the 1635 Glebe Terrier but it is positively identified in the court rolls of 1657. At some time between 1806 and 1839 it was converted into two cottages.
Listing NGR: TQ0976102316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings