History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gun Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Findon, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8682 / 50°52'5"N

Longitude: -0.4075 / 0°24'26"W

OS Eastings: 512158

OS Northings: 108843

OS Grid: TQ121088

Mapcode National: GBR GKJ.KSP

Mapcode Global: FRA B61T.12G

Entry Name: The Gun Inn

Listing Date: 12 October 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1027629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297913

Location: Findon, Arun, West Sussex, BN14

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Findon

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Findon, Clapham and Patching

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Findon

Listing Text

TQ 1208 FINDON THE SQUARE
(South east side)
231/23/15
The Gun Inn
12.10.54

GV II


Public house, formerly house. North wing is a pre-1530 building with 3-bay crosswing, the former open hall and service end having been engulfed in a later building to the south with late C18 door case and the whole building refurbished in the early C20. The north wing is a possible late C15 crosswing, timber-framed but clad in roughcast with down braces exposed to right side gable and tiled roof with later brick chimneystacks to the north. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with irregular early C20 fenestration. South wing is also covered in roughcast with hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys with 2 irregularly-placed windows, double or triple sashes, one of Venetian type which appear early C20 and genuine late C18 door case with open pediment, engaged columns semi-circular fanlight and door of 6 fielded panels. Plaster plaque of a gun on the east wall. The 2 wings are joined by a linking portion.5 windows facing east. INTERIOR: north wing retains crownpost roof, high arched braces to the first floor indicating a 2-floored upper chamber and dais beam visible in the bar. South wing has dogleg staircase with turned balusters and square newel post, dado panelling and wooden fireplace of Georgian style.
(See 1996 Report by Dr Annabelle Hughes.)

Listing NGR: TQ1215808843

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.