This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7866 / 50°47'11"N
Longitude: -0.6672 / 0°40'1"W
OS Eastings: 494049
OS Northings: 99410
OS Grid: SZ940994
Mapcode National: GBR FJV.L4H
Mapcode Global: FRA 97H0.FWR
Entry Name: Hotham Park House
Listing Date: 4 August 1971
Last Amended: 1 March 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297588
Location: Bognor Regis, Arun, West Sussex, PO21
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Bognor Regis
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: South Bersted St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2013
SZ 9499 18/14
Hotham Park House
(Formerly listed as Hotham House)
This house was originally called Chapel House, and was built in 1793 by Sir Richard Hotham, the founder of Bognor, as his own residence. The Chapel from which it took its name was used as a Chapel of Ease until St John's Chapel was built in 1882, and was pulled down later in the century. The house was then called Bersted Lodge and subsequently Hotham Lodge.
2 storeys and semi-basement. 10 windows. Stuccoed. Cornice and parapet. 2 large bays of 3 windows each on both floors with one window on the outer side of them and 2 between. The bays are linked on the ground floor by an arcaded verandah raised above the ground level with an iron railing between the columns and approach at each end by a curved flight of steps with handrail, (that of the south flight broken off). Above the verandah is an iron balcony with hood supported on trellis columns. Moulded frieze and dentilled cornice between the verandah and the balcony.
On the north side of the north bay is a similar arcaded verandah approached by
a curved flight of steps from the north front and iron balcony over without hood. On the south side of the south bay is a terrace with iron railing (formerly having a ground floor room built out with frieze, cornice and balcony without hood over, and one large window with semi-circular head). The south front has a curved bay containing 3 windows. At the north-west corner of the house is a tower built in 4 sections, each set back within the lower. Clock face on the north and south sides of the top section and cupola containing a bell over supported on 8 columns with weather vane surmounting it. Interior has moulded cornices to the ceilings and architraves to the doors, mantelpieces on columns or with Grecian decoration.
Listing NGR: SZ9404999410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings