History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Arundel, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8549 / 50°51'17"N

Longitude: -0.5555 / 0°33'19"W

OS Eastings: 501773

OS Northings: 107146

OS Grid: TQ017071

Mapcode National: GBR FJ6.BCP

Mapcode Global: FRA 96QV.3DL

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 5 June 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1027921

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297226

Location: Arundel, Arun, West Sussex, BN18

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Arundel

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Arundel St Nicholas with Tortington

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Arundel

Listing Text

1.
5401 MALTRAVERS STREET
(South Side)
-----------------
Town Hall
TQ 0107 1/24A 5.6.69.

II


2.
1833-8. The 12th Duke of Norfolk agreed to build a new Town Hall at his own expense
in 1833 [Town Hall Deeds] in return for the gift from the Town of the north part
of High Street, which he wished to enclose within the Castle Grounds. The Town
Hall was probably complete by 21st October 1836, when the Corporation discussed
its conveyance to the Town. It was certainly complete by 29th March 1838 when
the Paving Commissioners met there for the first time [Corporation Archives].
Architect probably Robert Abraham, who was employed by the Duke of Norfolk on,
as yet, unspecified work in Arundel during the 1830's [Colvin. Biographical
Dictionary of English Architects, p 27]. He was definitely the architect of the
Congregational Church (1836-8), which is very close to the Town Hall in style
[Union Church Archives].
Knapped flint with galleting. Pulborough stone dressings and ground floor arcade.
Yellow brick dressings at sides and south (rear) elevation. Red and grey brick
foundations and basement.
2 storeys, basement, and towers. End bays of north elevation break forward and
are continued upwards as towers. Triple arched loggia on ground floor between
these bays, crowned by parapet. Arches and window embrasures are semi-circular,
with roll mouldings and cushion capitals. 3 recessed oblong panels above 1st
floor windows. Statue of swallow on parapet of south elevation. Police cells
in basement.


Listing NGR: TQ0177207142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.