History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel to Former Legat's School of Ballet

A Grade II Listed Building in Rotherfield, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0546 / 51°3'16"N

Longitude: 0.2481 / 0°14'53"E

OS Eastings: 557653

OS Northings: 130765

OS Grid: TQ576307

Mapcode National: GBR MQQ.X42

Mapcode Global: FRA C6DB.JGG

Entry Name: Chapel to Former Legat's School of Ballet

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1027967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297130

Location: Rotherfield, Wealden, East Sussex, TN6

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Rotherfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Mark Cross St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Mark Cross

Listing Text

ROTHERFIELD CATT'S HILL
TQ 53 SE
Chapel to former
14/1007 Legat's School of
Ballet
GV II
Chapel. 1875 architects Goldie and Child. Built of red brick with bands of
polychrome black brick and slate roof. 5 bay nave with clerestorey, aisles and
transpets. Apsidal-ended chancel and South Tower. Tower has stone dressings and
louvred arched bell stage. Below are 2 trefoliated headed windows and circular
window and 2 lancets to aisles. A covered passageway connects to the main
buildings. Dogtooth cornice and 4 circular clerestorey windows with refoliated
motifs. Aisles have 4 lancets with trefoil heads and trefoil motifs above. Gabled
transept with circular window and 2 sashes below with stone and brick tympani. The
Duchess of Leeds bought from Scotland the polished granite columns which divide the
nave and aisles. The alter erected in 1885 was designed by Peter Paul Pugin.


Listing NGR: TQ5765330765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.