History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Offley Well Head

A Grade II Listed Building in Madeley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9922 / 52°59'32"N

Longitude: -2.3414 / 2°20'29"W

OS Eastings: 377178

OS Northings: 343933

OS Grid: SJ771439

Mapcode National: GBR 02Z.GVD

Mapcode Global: WH9BT.019X

Entry Name: Offley Well Head

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362664

Location: Madeley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Madeley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: MadeleyAll Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Madeley

Listing Text

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. MANOR ROAD
(off west side)

5/54 Offley Well Head

17/11/66
II

Fountain head, basin, platform and wrought iron gates. 1850 (see partly
illegible inscription panel on east side). Yellow and grey limestone
ashlar. In a Jacobean style inspired perhaps by late-antique funerary
monuments in the Middle East. Fountain head: octagonal in section on
plinth with lead spouts (2 now missing) and carved shell-like basins on
north, south and east sides; higher door on west gives access to inside.
Panels with strapwork motifs on each of the 8 sides; moulded cornice
with ornamental crested parapet above; on top, a square panelled head
with broken segmental pediments and sundial on north-east side. The
fountain stands in a tile-floored basin with red brick walls and stone
capping, from which are moulded triangular projections. This in turn
stands on a platform with an open strapwork balustrade on 3 sides and
a higher quadrant sandstone wall to rear (west); access to the plat-
form is by way of short flights of steps (with slate benches on either
side) on the north and south sides, at the bottom of which are wrought
iron gates. The fountain was erected by Annabel Hungerford in memory of her aunt in 1850, at which time the allotments (which still surround
it) were created and given to the poor of the parish. The structure is
overgrown and in poor condition owing to neglect at the time of re-survey
(1984).


Listing NGR: SJ7717843933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.