History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodcote Grove

A Grade II* Listed Building in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3241 / 51°19'26"N

Longitude: -0.2673 / 0°16'2"W

OS Eastings: 520830

OS Northings: 159763

OS Grid: TQ208597

Mapcode National: GBR 94.99V

Mapcode Global: VHGRP.BZ19

Entry Name: Woodcote Grove

Listing Date: 10 April 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028576

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290619

Location: Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, KT18

County: Surrey

District: Epsom and Ewell

Town: Epsom and Ewell

Electoral Ward/Division: Woodcote

Built-Up Area: Epsom

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Epsom St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Epsom

Listing Text

EPSOM
1.
1086
CHALK LANE
(East Side)
Woodcote Grove
TQ 2059 34/15 10.4.54.
II*

2.
Late C17. Two storeys, basement and attic. Plain brick with red dressings.
1 - 3 - 1 sashes, the centre slightly projecting under pediment. Flight
of steps with iron rails leads to central fluted Corinthian columned doorcase
with rusticated surround, panelled frieze and dentilled cornice. Glazed
double doors and rectangular leaded fanlight. Carved and dentilled eaves
cornice, round window to pediment. Slate roof with four large (? modern)
pedimented sashed dormers, inner ones with segmental pediments. To North
and South are two storey and attic similar style wings added circa 1895.
Flat roofs with parapets. Rear elevation, similar, but no doorcase to
centre. The house was built by J Diston. A portrait of Charles II in
the hall bears an inscription that it was painted by Lely at the command
of and as a present from him to Diston. The house was originally called
Mount Diston and there is a mount in the garden.
Interior:
Hall paved with white marble, and black and white marble mantelpiece.
Staircase, screened by Doric colonnade, is of stone with wrought iron
scrolled balustrade and ribbed barrel ceiling. Pine panelling to library
with two mid-C18 carved wood fireplaces with rococo ornament. 3 bedrooms
with C17 bolection moulded panelling, one with original marble fireplace
and C18 hob grate.


Listing NGR: TQ2236858933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.