History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cameron House and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2939 / 51°17'38"N

Longitude: -0.3285 / 0°19'42"W

OS Eastings: 516643

OS Northings: 156303

OS Grid: TQ166563

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.CVY

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.8Q6Y

Entry Name: Cameron House and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290518

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD CHURCH STREET
TQ 1656 SE (east side)
12/124

7.9.51 No.33 (Cameron House),
and attached railings

GV II

House, now offices, and attached railings. C18, incorporating some C17 fabric,
and with C19 addition; altered. Scored stucco painted white, red tile roof. L-plan
formed by earlier structure parallel to street with added rear wing and various
other additions to the rear. Two storeys and 4 bays, with cellar and attic, and
3-storey rear wing. The facade to the street has a band over the ground floor
interrupted by a canted bay in the 4th bay, an added or altered flat-roofed
porch in the 2nd bay, 12-pane sashed windows either side of this and 3 similar
windows above, all with exposed boxes; to the right, a 2-storey flat-roofed
canted bay which has 12-pane sashed windows with plain reveals; a moulded
eaves cornice, and chimneys at both gables (that to the left extruded) and on
the front slope of the roof between the 3rd and 4th bays. Linked to the porch
and the canted bay are slender wrought-iron spear railings with dog-bars,
incorporating a gate to the right of the porch. Continued to the right is 2-storey
screen wall which has panelled pilasters finished with ball finials, and an arched
doorway in the centre. Breaking forwards from the right-hand return wall is the
added 3-storey 2-bay rear wing, which has a canted bay window at ground floor
and 12-pane sashed windows on both upper floors. The rear has inter alia a
doorway into this wing. Interior: the ground floor has a large spine beam, and in
the 3rd bay exposed joists of large scantling; the junction of the 1st and 2nd
bays has remains of timber framing, including 2 posts and a rail with vacant
mortices of a 3rd post; the junction of the 3rd and 4th bays is formed by a
thick chimney stack. History: was used as a preparatory school c.1900.


Listing NGR: TQ1664356303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.