History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mansion

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2937 / 51°17'37"N

Longitude: -0.329 / 0°19'44"W

OS Eastings: 516605

OS Northings: 156275

OS Grid: TQ166562

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.CQN

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.7RX4

Entry Name: The Mansion

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028620

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290524

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

District Council Ward: Leatherhead South

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD CHURCH STREET
TQ 1656 SE (west side)
12/130

7.9.51 Nos. 68, 70, and 72
(The Mansion)

GV II

Large house, now council offices and library. 1739 rebuilding of earlier house, by
Alexander Akehurst, partly remodelled c.1810; altered. Red brick in Flemish bond,
with stone dressings (painted white), red tile roof. Double-pile plan, with wings
added at each end. Two storeys and 1:7:1 bays over cellars, symmetrical, the end
bays breaking forwards; rendered plinth, punched rusticated quoins, plain frieze
and moulded cornice, parapet with flat coping; the centre has a rectangular flat-
roofed porch with fluted Ionic corner pilasters, plan frieze and dentilled cornice,
and recessed glazed doors; the windows are all 12-pane sashes, those at ground
floor with elaborate moulded architraves and cornices on consoles and those
above with raised sills and similar cornices. Two-span hipped roof with 2 ridge
chimneys. At the left end is a set-back 1-bay link to a service wing (which is
not of special interest), and at the right-hand end a set-back 2-bay extension.
Rear: the 7-bay main range has a central doorway with moulded architrave and
cornice on large consoles and a glazed door, some blocked cellar openings in the
plinth, an inserted glazed door at the right-hand end, 12-pane sashed windows on
both floors with louvred sliding shutters, an oculus at the left end of the 1st
floor, and a hipped roof with a small dormer in the centre and 2 ridge chimneys.
Attached at each end is a 3-bay wing (that at the south end set back), with
similar windows at 1st floor and a large square conservatory projected from the
ground floor, both with Tuscan columns tetrastyle in antis, glazed screen walls
and flat roofs. Interior: the entrance hall has pilasters and vine frieze, ceiling
beams with similar decoration, and a fine early C18 doglegged open-string
staircase with flying upper flight, carved brackets, 2 turned balusters per tread,
and ramped handrail (perhaps ex situ); and inserted partition walls. The rear
range (now the public library) has a moulded plaster cornice and a shouldered
fireplace of white marble with a wooden entablature in the central room, and to
the south of this a panelled room containing a Doric screen with 2 fluted
columns distyle in antis.


Listing NGR: TQ1660556275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.