History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duke's Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2957 / 51°17'44"N

Longitude: -0.327 / 0°19'37"W

OS Eastings: 516740

OS Northings: 156498

OS Grid: TQ167564

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.66L

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.8PZM

Entry Name: Duke's Head Public House

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290545

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead North

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD HIGH STREET
TQ 1656 SE (north side)
12/148

7.9.51 Duke's Head PH

GV II

Inn, now public house. C17 and C18, remodelled in C19; altered in C20. Timber
frame with brick cladding and stucco facade; red tile roof. Single-depth front
range with coupled rear wings of unequal length. Two storeys and 3 bays; the
almost symmetrical C19 facade has painted quoins and a high banded parapet;
the principal doorway is offset slightly to the right, has a shouldered surround of
plain render and is protected by a flat canopy carried across at 1st floor
between flanking full-height canted bays; at 1st floor above the canopy is a 12-
pane sashed window with an exposed box and plaster cresting lettered "DUKES
HEAD" under a roundel showing the duke's head; and the flanking bays have 4-
pane sashes except at ground floor to the right where the window has been
replaced by a doorway. There is an extruded chimney stack at the right-hand
gable and a single chimney at the front left corner. At the right-hand end is a
single-storey flat-roofed modern addition (not of special interest), and the rear
slope of the roof carries down to the lower level of the rear wing, which has
various openings on this side, and on the other side is mostly covered by a
modern addition but has some exposed timber framing above this. Interior:
altered at ground floor and partition walls removed, but some remains of timber
framing are visible; otherwise, not inspected.


Listing NGR: TQ1674056498

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.