History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bookham Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2764 / 51°16'35"N

Longitude: -0.3727 / 0°22'21"W

OS Eastings: 513605

OS Northings: 154287

OS Grid: TQ136542

Mapcode National: GBR HFW.W22

Mapcode Global: VHFVK.H5BV

Entry Name: Bookham Grove

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028634

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290470

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT23

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

District Council Ward: Bookham South

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Great Bookham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bookham

Listing Text

GREAT BOOKHAM GUILDFORD ROAD
TQ 1354 SE (south side)
15/79 side)

7.9.51 Bookham Grove

II

Large house, now flats. 1765, for Admiral Broderick, enlarged 1822; altered.
Scored stucco on brick, slate roof. Rectangular plan with short service wing
added at left (east) end. Classical style. Two storeys and 4 bays, with a high
basement and an attic; symmetrical (except for wing), with a string course over
each principal floor; in the centre, a curved double flight of nosed steps with
simple iron railings leads to a raised doorway protected by a pedimented Roman
Doric porch with mutuled pediment; all the windows are sashed, with glazing
bars, those at ground floor with broken segmental pediments containing urns and
those at 1st floor with triangular pediments, all with carved brackets;
balustraded parapet with a central pediment containing a blind oculus, flanked by
2 dormers. Rectangular hipped roof with chimneys on the front and right-hand
ridges. Set back at the east end is a one-bay full-height wing with an unusual
octagonal corner turret (probably housing a staircase). The west end has a full-
height bow, which has tall 15-pane sashed windows to the principal floor, with
wrought-iron balconies, and 12-pane sashes at basement level and 1st floor. At
the rear the west half has a 2-storey wing (added in 1822) with a 3-window
bow, and a balustraded parapet to the deck (a glazed door opening onto this);
otherwise, the windows are 12-pane unhorned sashes, and there are 4 gabled
dormers with 6-pane sashes. Interior: the entrance hall has a fine geometrical
staircase, and some other rooms have Adam-style plaster decoration (but some
partitions have been altered).


Listing NGR: TQ1360554287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.