History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 3 Tomb Chests Approximately 20 Metres South of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2923 / 51°17'32"N

Longitude: -0.3268 / 0°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 516761

OS Northings: 156126

OS Grid: TQ167561

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.D8W

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.9S25

Entry Name: Group of 3 Tomb Chests Approximately 20 Metres South of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290506

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Locality: Leatherhead South

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD CHURCH ROAD
TQ 1656 SE (south side)
12/112
Group of 3 tomb chests
approx. 20 metres south of
Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

GV II

Group of 3 tomb chests in a row. Late C18 and early C19. All of limestone. The
dominant element of the group is that in the centre, commemorating Thomas
Cooper (d. 1800) and 3 infant sons: a large square chest mounted on a square
base, with a moulded plinth, panelled pilastered corners, oval side panels with
moulded surrounds and cherubs in the upper spandrels, a lid with a prominent
reeded edge and a large gadrooned urn in the centre; inscriptions in the panels
on the north and west sides. The chest approx. 1 metre south of this,
commemorating Ann Cooper, wife of Thomas Cooper, (d. 1782), is rectangular,
mounted on a stone base, and has a moulded plinth, corner pilasters with cabled
fluting, fielded side and end panels (inscription on the north side), and a lid with
a moulded edge. The chest approx. 1 metre north, commemorating Hannah, wife
of George Allen (d. 1806), also rectangular, is mounted on 2 steps with railing
sockets in the lower, and has a moulded plinth, pilaster strips with horizontal
fluting, fielded side and end panels (inscription on the north side), and a lid with
a moulded edge.


Listing NGR: TQ1676156126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.