History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3062 / 51°18'22"N

Longitude: -0.3088 / 0°18'31"W

OS Eastings: 517984

OS Northings: 157701

OS Grid: TQ179577

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.JTZ

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.LFMH

Entry Name: The Old Cottage

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290416

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT21

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashtead Park

Built-Up Area: Ashtead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Ashtead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

ASHTEAD OTTWAYS LANE
TQ
3/32
The Old Cottage

II

Farmhouse, subsequently bakery, now house. Probably later C17, enlarged in later
C18 or early C19; altered in C20. Timber frame and brick, now roughcast
(painted white), red tile roof on 2 levels. Three structural bays with continuous
rear outshut, plus one-bay addition at right-hand (west) end and lean-to addition
at left end. Two storeys with three 1st-floor windows (in the main range only);
at ground floor the 1st and 2nd bays have a blocked former doorway at the
junction, a 3-fight casement to the left, and an 18-pane fixed window to the
right, all under a black-painted fascia board, and the 3rd bay also has a 3-light
casement; the 1st floor has 3 similar casements; the lean-to to the left has a 4-
pane sash. The roof has a dormer over the 3rd bay, and at the right-hand gable
the chimney rising from the stack at the original gable wall is detached from
this gable but attached to that of the addition (which is higher and has no
openings to the front). The right-hand return wall of this addition has a 12-pane
sash on each floor and a modern porch to the rear of these. The rear has a
catslide roof to the outshut of the main range, which has been raised at the
east end and has a wide inserted dormer at the west end, and various modern
windows. Interior: large lateral beam at junction of 1st and 2nd bays with
blocked mortices of former partition; timber-framed partition at junction of 2nd
bays; large inglenook fireplace with timber bressummer at former west gable
wall; under staircase in this room, a muntin-and-rail door with H-hinges;
wallposts and tie-beams exposed at 1st floor. History: following occupation by
Arthur family from late C17, was bakery house in C19; was known as "Ordnance
Cottage" from c.1870 to c.1920 (reference: Proc. LDLHS VoL5, No.1, 1987).


Listing NGR: TQ1798457701

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.