This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3071 / 51°18'25"N
Longitude: -0.2987 / 0°17'55"W
OS Eastings: 518687
OS Northings: 157820
OS Grid: TQ186578
Mapcode National: GBR 8B.FCD
Mapcode Global: VHGRV.RDZS
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 7 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290420
Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT21
District: Mole Valley
Town: Mole Valley
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashtead Park
Built-Up Area: Ashtead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ashtead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ASHTEAD RECTORY CLOSE
7.9.51 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house and flats. 1777, extended and altered; and partitioned c.1930.
Roughcast (probably on brick); slate roof. Irregular rectangular plan on north-
south axis. Mostly 3 storeys: west front composed of set-back 2-bay centre,
mostly altered, with 2 doorways at ground floor under a canopy; a 2-bay north
wing with tall 2-light casements at ground floor, 12-pane sashes at 1st floor,
and 6-pane sashes at 2nd floor; and a bowed 3-bay south wing of 2 storeys to
the same height with tall 8-pane sashes at ground floor and 12-pane sashes
above; with a modillioned cornice carried round the whole, a hipped roof with 2
dormers in the north wing, and various chimneys. Right-hand return wall of south
wing has 2 extruded chimney stacks. Rear: 2-storey 3-bay centre, a short linking
bay to the left, bows to both wings; in the link, an inserted doorway, a round-
headed stairwindow and an oculus above; various French windows and 12, 6, and
4-pane sashes, including a 12-pane sashed semi-dormer breaking the eaves of the
north wing. Interior: the house which occupies the south end contains an open-
well staircase with open string, scrolled brackets, columnar newels, stick
balusters and wreathed curtail; various moulded plaster cornices. Reference:
Proc.LDLHS VoL5, No.1, 1987.
Listing NGR: TQ1868757820
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings