History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Le Pelerin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2917 / 51°17'30"N

Longitude: -0.3376 / 0°20'15"W

OS Eastings: 516012

OS Northings: 156045

OS Grid: TQ160560

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.HJR

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.3SCM

Entry Name: Le Pelerin

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290438

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Fetcham East

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Fetcham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

FETCHAM GUILDFORD ROAD
TQ/15/NE (north side)
3/51

7.9.51 Le Pelerin
(formerly listed as The Old Rising Sun)

II*

Medieval hall-house, now restaurant. Probably later C14 or earlier C15; altered in
C16 and subsequently, with additions c.1790 and 1807. Timber frame with
rendered cladding (perhaps stone), with additions of tile-hung brick and weather-
boarded timber framing; roofs of red tile and some red pantiles; brick chimneys.
T-shaped plan formed by 3-bay medieval hall range with added wing at right-
hand end, and various extensions to the rear. The principal range, of 2 low
storeys and 3 bays, has a slate-roofed verandah to the centre bay, which has a
plank door to the right with strap hinges and a 9-pane sashed window on each
floor to the left; the 1st bay has an added semi-octagonal bay window with a
panelled door in the right-hand side, and the 3rd bay is covered at ground floor
by a lean-to addition, the centre of the roof cut away to accommodate a 9-pane
sashed window at 1st floor. The roof is hipped at the left end and gabled at the
right-hand end (very close to the wing), and has a chimney at the left end of
the ridge. The left gable wall has a 9-pane sash at 1st floor, and a lean-to
addition towards the rear. At the rear there is a weather-boarded 2-storey wing
in the centre, which has a lean-to at its gable end, with some studs and
nogging. The higher 2-storey wing at the right-hand end projects, is tile-hung,
has a transomed 6-light casement window at ground floor and a 4-pane sash
above, and a hipped roof. The right-hand return wall has an extruded chimney
stack to the 1st bay, and its continuation (probably originally agricultural rather
than domestic) is of weather-boarded timber-framing in 2 sections, with a
modern porch in matching materials added to the 2nd of these, and a hipped
pantiled roof. The principal features of interest, however, are in the interior,
where the main range contains most of the structure of an open hall (which may
originally have been aisled), though with a ceiling inserted in the C16 or C17.
This appears to have been of 3 bays, and of post-and-truss construction with a
crown-post collar-rafter roof: at 1st floor 3 formerly open frames are visible,
approx. 3 metres apart and the 3rd abutting the wing, with cavetto-moulded tie-
beams, similarly decorated arch-braces of large scantling at both ends of the 1st
beam and at the rear end of the 2nd (the other missing, leaving a vacant
mortice), and the 3rd tie-beam severed for a doorway (and the braces, if
present, concealed). Also visible are cavetto-moulded wall-plates, including one
in the front wall beyond the 1st frame (showing that the structure continued in
that direction). Visible in the roof are 3 plain crown posts of square section with
arch-braces to a collar purlin, and close-set braced coupled rafters, all these of
large scantling but none decorated (or smoke-blackened). The wall-posts are
mostly concealed, but the foot of that at the north end of the 1st frame has
cavetto moulding. The outer face of the 3rd frame (narrowly separated from the
side of the wing) is plastered, apparently through the full height, suggesting that
there was no contemporary cross-wing at this end. The timbers of the inserted
ceiling, and an associated longitudinal passage, are crudely shaped and
undecorated, and there is a small inglenook fireplace at the end wall of the 1st
bay. Otherwise, the exposed timber-framing of the wing (the rear end of which
is open to the roof) appears to be of C18 or early C19 date, and there is a
rectangular fireplace in the side-wall of the front room.


Listing NGR: TQ1601256045

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.