History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, 4, 6, and 8, Church Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Bookham North, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2798 / 51°16'47"N

Longitude: -0.3748 / 0°22'29"W

OS Eastings: 513449

OS Northings: 154658

OS Grid: TQ134546

Mapcode National: GBR HFW.N2W

Mapcode Global: VHFVK.G377

Entry Name: 2, 4, 6, and 8, Church Road

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290452

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT23

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Bookham North

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Great Bookham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bookham

Listing Text

GREAT BOOKHAM CHURCH ROAD
TQ 1354 NW (east side)

13/63
7.9.51 Nos.2,4,6, and 8
(formerly listed as Nos 1 & 2
Church Cottages and Nos 3 & 4
Church Place)

GV II

House, subsequently 4 cottages, now 3 dwellings. Probably later C16, with wing
added in later C17, cottage added in C19. Timber frame cased in brick (rendered
at 1st floor), red tile roof. L-plan formed by original 2-unit house (probably of
smoke-bay type), with receding wing added at right-hand end and cottage added
to left end. Two storeys and now 4 bays; altered doorways in 2nd and 3rd bays
(and evidence of former doorway in line with chimney at junction of 2nd and
3rd); 4 large altered or inserted casement windows at ground floor, and 4 small
altered casements under the eaves; roof hipped at both ends, with ridge chimney
offset left of centre; side-wall chimney at left end, and composite chimney
stack at rear gable of wing. Rear wall mostly covered by added lean-to, but in
the narrow band above this the tops of 3 wall-posts and one curved brace are
visible, and some very small windows. Interior: Nos. 2 and 4 (now one dwelling)
have timber-framing, including wall-posts with both curved and straight bracing,
wall-plates, rails, and the tie-beam of the former south gable wall with mortices
of a former wooden diamond mullion window in the soffit; a spine beam at
ground floor with tongue-stopped chamfer; and a common rafter roof, with an
added axial purlin from which the 1st floor ceiling is suspended. No.6 has an
spine beam of inferior quality, some tension braces in the former north gable
wall; and the roof of this part (which was not inspected) is said to have some
smoke-blackened rafters.


Listing NGR: TQ1680656394

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.