History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hamelot Monument Approximately 18 Metres South East of Chancel of Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3085 / 51°18'30"N

Longitude: -0.2895 / 0°17'22"W

OS Eastings: 519324

OS Northings: 157988

OS Grid: TQ193579

Mapcode National: GBR 8B.9PW

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.XCTR

Entry Name: Hamelot Monument Approximately 18 Metres South East of Chancel of Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290401

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT21

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashtead Park

Built-Up Area: Ashtead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Ashtead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Epsom

Listing Text

ASHTEAD ASHTEAD PARK
TQ 1857-1957
8/18
Hamelot monument approx.
18 metres south-east of chancel
of Church of St Giles

GV II

Tomb chest. Early to mid C18. Commemorates various members of the Hamelot
family, principally Peter Hamelot (d.1742). Limestone ashlar. Classical style. Plain
side and end panels, but with very boldly gadrooned and fluted decoration
flanking the side panels. Lid with moulded edge, inscribed epitaphs to: Jane, wife
of "HIEROME HAMELOT, Doctor of Physic", (d.1731); Catherine, wife to "PETER
HAMELOT Rector of Ashted", (d.1728); and the following identifying him as a
Huguenot refugee:-
PETER HAMELOT MA When the
Popish fury destroyed the
Protestants in France he left
his Patrimony and came into
England. he was chosen Pastor
of this Church the 25th of March
1699, he dyed the 14th day of
April 1742 aged 81 years


Listing NGR: TQ1932457988

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.