History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hay Barn to South of Home Farm House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newdigate, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1529 / 51°9'10"N

Longitude: -0.2757 / 0°16'32"W

OS Eastings: 520689

OS Northings: 140704

OS Grid: TQ206407

Mapcode National: GBR HHK.P3P

Mapcode Global: VHGSN.59L1

Entry Name: Hay Barn to South of Home Farm House

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 2 October 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290272

Location: Newdigate, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Newdigate

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Newdigate

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Charlwood

Listing Text

TQ 24 SW NEWDIGATE CP DUKE'S ROAD

1896/9/158 Hay Barn to south of
Home Farm House
29.09.1987

GV II*


Hay barn. Western five bays are of c1411-22, eastern three bays of 1608-9 when the whole barn was probably re-roofed. Timber framed on brick and stone plinth with weatherboard cladding and plain tiled roofs. Some oak waetherboarding to the north side is 12 inches wide with splayed joints and may be original. Original barn of five framed bays had central threshing floor with central cart entrance. The easternmost bay was originally floored with evidence for wattle staves on all four walls. Wall frame has mid rail and most bays retain passing braces, 12 in all survive. Upright posts retain all but one curved brace. Trait de Jupiter scarf joint in the wall plated over the entrance bay. Roof was originally a crownpost but is now a probable c1608-9 angled queenstrut roof with rafters without ridgepiece added when the barn was extended by three bays to the east. Eastern three bays included a further threshing floor. Some studding from the earlier part of the barn was reused including passing braces and former central post from eastern end. These alterations to the barn took place at about the same time that Home Farmhouse was extended into a large courtyard house with three bay addition to east.

D.B.R.G. Report (1021)
REPORT ON HOME FARM SOUTH BARN BY PJ GRAY 1998.
TREE-RING ANALYSIS OF TIMBERS FROM THE HOME FARM COMPLEX, NEWDIGATE, SURREY A M LAB REPORT 37/98.

Listing NGR: TQ2068940704

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.