This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1445 / 51°8'40"N
Longitude: -0.2972 / 0°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 519212
OS Northings: 139742
OS Grid: TQ192397
Mapcode National: GBR HHQ.3PT
Mapcode Global: VHGSM.SHSG
Entry Name: Temple Elfande
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290226
Location: Capel, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Capel
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Capel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
CAPEL C.P. TEMPLE LANE
11/112 Temple Elfande
House, once much larger. Built 1541 by Sir Richard Cowper, extended in C17 and
C19. Timber framed, exposed below on right hand return front with whitewashed
render infill, tile hung above on jettied first floor. Horsham slab roofs. T-
shaped plan with entrance now on rear of house; former entrance now on right
hand return front. Old entrance front:- Two storeys with attic in projecting
gable to right; galleting in mortar under the eaves, with one leaded attic case-
ment. One 'cross' window on each floor below. Front stack to left with two
diamond-pane first floor windows to left of it, one to right; two ground floor
windows to left, one 4-light, enlarged window to right. Door to left in open
gabled porch. Rear: large stacks, placed diagonally with Horsham slab offsets,
to left and right. Three first floor windows alternating with stacks; two
windows on ground floor. Entrance front:- tile hung gable projecting to right
with attic window and one window on each floor of left hand return wall. Offset
stack in angle with left range. Double gable range to left, attic window over
one between-floors window and two ground floor windows below. Brick dressed,
arrow slit, glazed breather above hip-roofed porch, and C20 door.
Interior:- Wealth of framing visible. Chalk fireplace and two doors with oval
peep-holes covered by flaps.
The names derives from the fact that the Templars, and later the Hospitallers,
held a Manor here.
Listing NGR: TQ1921239741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings