This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2117 / 51°12'42"N
Longitude: -0.248 / 0°14'52"W
OS Eastings: 522471
OS Northings: 147287
OS Grid: TQ224472
Mapcode National: GBR JJ4.XTM
Mapcode Global: VHGS8.NT70
Entry Name: Leigh Place
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290248
Location: Leigh, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH2
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Leigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Leigh St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LEIGH C.P. CHURCH ROAD
6/134 Leigh Place
House. C15, built by the Ardene Family, remodelled and extended in C17 by
Margaret Copeley, further extended in C18 and then part demolished and altered
in Gothic style by Richard Caffeyn Dentz in 1810. Timber framed, clad in red
brick with tiled roofs, including some courses of patterned tiles,and wooden
lantern to right of centre under lead-covered, ogee-domed roof and scrolled
weathervane finial. T-shaped plan with wing to right. Two storeys; large
front ridge stack to left of centre and offset stack to front of right hand
gable end. Part rendered plinth to ground floor with plat band over ground
floor. Offset buttresses under stone spike and ball finials to left end, either
side of entrance, to right of centre and on angles of right hand gable. Two
bargeboarded gables to front with pendant spike finials. One 3-light, triangular-
head, diamond-pane leaded casement window on first floor of each gable under
cambered heads with 4, triangular-head, light window to ground floor right, 3-light
window to left. Battlemented entrance bay breaking forward to left of centre with
triangular arch over ground floor. C17 panelled oak door with scrolled carving
and triangular transome light in strapwork surround to left of centre under
arched, lead-covered hood with pendant spike finial and stop-chamfered angles to
posts. Foiled carving to top with diamond panels in lintel ends. Right hand
return front:- whitewashed, with rendered plinth, and roughcast above. Outer, 3-
light, Gothic style windows on first floor, 2-light casement to centre; 3-light
outer casements to ground floor below. Central half-glazed door in gabled trellis
porch. Buttress to right and wooden turret with clock-face to centre of roof.
Rear - Gable to left with angle buttresses and centre stack. Parallel range to
right with C20 stack and mixed casement fenestration.
Interior:- panelled rooms to ground floor right with ribbed ceilings. Thick frame
exposed in lobby entry. Carved strapwork decoration on centre spine beam,
triangular head panelling in ground floor rooms. Stone floor and deep brick fire-
place with strapwork and lozenge-decorated lintel, palmette ends. Early C17 stair-
case with scrolled and egg shaped balusters and sturdy strapwork-decorated newel
post under sphere finial. Shallow 1/2 oval curved roof to first floor room with
moulded wall plate and Strawberry Hill style panelling on walls. The house stands
on a moated site and has associated Medieval Fishponds.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.342.
V.C.H. (1911) Vol. III pp.210-11.
SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS VOL. II (1893) pp. 141-184 (Plans).
Listing NGR: TQ2247147287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings