This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2086 / 51°12'30"N
Longitude: -0.2484 / 0°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 522453
OS Northings: 146944
OS Grid: TQ224469
Mapcode National: GBR JJB.40X
Mapcode Global: VHGS8.NW1C
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290250
Location: Leigh, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH2
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Leigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Leigh St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LEIGH C.P. CHURCH ROAD
6/136 Church of St.
Church. C15 in Perpendicular style, restored in 1856 by Larmer and in 1890 by
F. C. Lees, who added a stone tower and extended the west end. Reigate stone
with rubblestone on south side of nave and chancel, ashlared dressings, porches
and tower with Horsham slab roofs. Wood shingles on belltower and broach spire
to west. Nave with porch to west end, porch to south, chancel to east with
vestry on south side and bellcote over western gable. Broach spire over with
Heron and scroll finial weathervane. Arcaded range under the eaves, 3 bays to
each face; 3 rectilinear, 2-light louvred openings on each. North:- Diagonal
buttress to chancel end. Two-light Perpendicular style windows under label
mouldings, some under arched hoods. Two, 3-light, foiled-head windows under labels
on nave, recut C19 window between. 3 stepped, single, arched lancets in square
surrounds in western bay of north side. East end:- re-cut 3-light,rectilinear
window in coved surround. South side:- one arched, 2-light window on chancel, and
catslide vestry. One 3-light window under label moulding to nave, east of porch,
C19 window to west of it. Three-light, late-C19 window to westernmost bay over
moulded sill and plinth string course. West end:- Ball flower eaves across,
three-light Y-tracery window over pentice, Horsham-slab roofed,porch narthex.
Traceried open arcading over plinth walls with central opening for west doors.
Gabled porch to south with hood mould and chamfered surround to door. Ogee-head
hood moulding over lancet in gable apex, one window in each return wall of porch.
Interior:- Simple. Panelled, round vaulted nave ceiling. Chamfered tower arch
with half-octagonal impost. Similar arch to chancel. Chancel roof panelled with
Fittings:- Gilt, plaster and stone reredos with blind arcade of two bays flanking
9 bay centre reredos, alternate panels with Saints and Christ. Panelled pulpit.
Octagonal marble font on centre stem with surrounding pillars and three "shouldered"
arched panels on each face. C19 traceried,fret-work,ogee-domed font cover over.
5-bay C20 gallery to west end on thin, 4-columned pillars with cusping to bay
heads. Billeted top over with foliage frieze and crocketed finials. Two hatch-
ments in chancel. Stained glass East Window, 1890 by Kempe.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.341-2.
Listing NGR: TQ2245346944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings