History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mausoleum and Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2111 / 51°12'39"N

Longitude: -0.4031 / 0°24'11"W

OS Eastings: 511637

OS Northings: 146976

OS Grid: TQ116469

Mapcode National: GBR HGT.0WF

Mapcode Global: VHFVQ.YTQG

Entry Name: The Mausoleum and Walls

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 3 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290063

Location: Wotton, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Wotton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Wotton

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Abinger

Listing Text

In the entry for: WOTTON C.P. BRICKYARD LANE

4/101 The Mausoleum and
Walls, Wotton House


The address shall be amended to read:- BRICKYARD LANE
the Mausoleum and Walls

------------------------------------

WOTTON C.P. BRICKYARD LANE
TQ 14NW

4/101 The Mausoleum and
11/11/66 Walls, Wotton House

II

Mausoleum,walls and gates. Early C19 though with 1590/1690 carved on its face.
Sandstone rubble walls on entrance court, ashlared entrance with brick lined
chamber cut into rocky hillside. Rectangular entrance court in front with
rectangular chamber cut into hillside behind central door. Entrance walls
approximately 5 feet high with iron railings above and curving round to front
corners to flank gate piers with paired scroll work, wrought iron gates. Entrance
courtyard originally terrazzo floored. Pedimented, block-vermiculated entrance
front with gryphon (Evelyn Crest) in tympanum and metope and triglyph frieze.
Lugged architrave surround, tapering to top, to half-panelled tapering doors with
wrought iron grilles to upper part. Butterfly carving on door lintel and
inscription, part of which reading "Good deeds are the Best memorials".
Interior:- Terrazzo floored, brick barrel vaulted space with paterae patterned
tiled dado wall to end. Twenty brick and stone coffin niches, 10 either side in
two rows of five, all empty.


Listing NGR: TQ1163746976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.