History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leith Hill Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1764 / 51°10'34"N

Longitude: -0.3713 / 0°22'16"W

OS Eastings: 513948

OS Northings: 143162

OS Grid: TQ139431

Mapcode National: GBR HH7.2YJ

Mapcode Global: VHFVY.JP2K

Entry Name: Leith Hill Tower

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290087

Location: Wotton, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Wotton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Coldharbour

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Abinger

Listing Text

WOTTON C.P. LEITH HILL
TQ 14SW

6/124 Leith Hill Tower
11/11/66
II

Folly Tower. Built as a landmark in 1764 or 65 by Richard Hulls of Leith Hill
Place, although dated on fabric, 1766, after faulty restoration of inscription.
Tower restored and heightened by William Philip Perrin of Tanhurst. Further
restored and battlements and stair turret added in 1864 by William John Evelyn
of Wotton House. Bargate stone rubble with brick dressings and mouldings.
Square plan. Battering Tower with roll moulding, four stages above separated
by brick plat bands, upper stage with stone string course and brick angle quoins.
Corbelled and battlemented parapet to top stage. Octagonal stair turret at north
west corner of four stages, offset, and with battlemented top. Rectangular
lancet fenestration with door in south face. West face of tower has arch on
impost blocks to lowest stage, roundel above. Two light and roundel plate tracery
window in panel to top stage in each face. Richard Hulls was buried below the
lower room of the original two room tower in 1772. The tower stands on the
highest point in the County of Surrey and reputedly it is possible to see 13
Counties from its battlements.


Listing NGR: TQ1394843162

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.