This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2018 / 51°12'6"N
Longitude: -0.407 / 0°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 511388
OS Northings: 145940
OS Grid: TQ113459
Mapcode National: GBR GFG.RWF
Mapcode Global: VHFVX.W2P0
Entry Name: Abinger Manor
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290042
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Abinger
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. SUTTON LANE
TQ 14NW Abinger Common
4/72 Abinger Manor
House. Originally built in 1688 by John Evelyn, rebuilt in 1872/3,using some old
materials,by Alfred Waterhouse. Red brown brick with blue-header diapering to
left, plain tiled roofs. Some tile hanging to first floor left. L-shaped plan
with shaped gable to projecting wing on left. Two stacks on left hand return
front with diapered plinths, ribbed shafts and part-rendered, corbelled tops.
Further stacks to rear right and right hand return front of square almost detached
extension. Two storeys with Dutch gable to left under plat band edging. Plat
band over ground floor rising up over relieving arch of ground floor window.
Terracotta plaque in gable with brick "E" over. One 6-light mullioned and tran-
somed leaded window to first floor under drip hood. One 10-light mullioned and
transomed leaded window on ground floor with drip board. Three-light gabled
dormer to centre of house, one 4-light mullioned and transomed window below,
under segmental hood, below moulded brick eaves. Similar window to right. Two
storey entrance porch to right of centre with shaped gable over. One 3-light
leaded window on first floor, plinth moulding and round-arched entrance below.
Single storey,half-hipped roof,to set back range to right linking to square
addition under hipped roof and crowning louvred lantern with one window in each
face. Rear - angle bay to right, roof sloping down to centre left, with two
hipped roof dormers above. House is set in moated site and the bay tree in the
garden was reputedly planted by John Evelyn.
Listing NGR: TQ1138845940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings