This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1968 / 51°11'48"N
Longitude: -0.3982 / 0°23'53"W
OS Eastings: 512019
OS Northings: 145389
OS Grid: TQ120453
Mapcode National: GBR HGT.VJ6
Mapcode Global: VHFVY.15VX
Entry Name: Goddards
Listing Date: 7 February 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289974
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Abinger
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. ABINGER LANE
Country House. Built 1899 as a "Home of Rest for Ladies of Small Means" by
Sir Edwin Lutyens for Sir Frederick Mirrielees, extended and altered into a
private dwelling by Lutyens in 1910 for Mrs D Mirrielees. Colourwashed rough-
cast with brick and stone dressings, plain tiled hipped and gabled roofs with
courses of Horsham slabs over the eaves to the rear. U-shaped plan around
quadrangle with arms splayed apart, the original common room connecting across
the arms North-South, western ends of the arms built in 1910. Two storeys with
very tall brick stacks to ends under corbelled tops, elaborate coupled diagonal
stacks on ends of wings with tiled offsets and stringcourse decoration. Entrance
Elevation (to the East):- Virtually symmetrical with single storey wings
projecting to ends, paired diagonal stacks to left and right and two gables to
centre; two storeys in gables. Brick dressed and mullioned leaded casement
fenestration with chamfered surrounds, one 4-light window on first floor of each
gable, smaller two-light windows on ground floor. Two small windows on end wings
and hip-roofed dormer to left over door. Panelled, studded and part glazed door
in round arched brick quoined and keystoned surround. Square panel above in
quoined brick surround with stone plaque. Left hand return front (South):- Cat-
slide roof over skittle alley to right with two hip-roofed dormers above. Square
brick bay to left rising through two floors. Right hand return front (North:- Two
dormers to left, roughcast clad square bay to right with brick upper window range.
Rear (West):- Small Horsham slab roof dormer to left. Two angle bay brick windows
under deep continuous eaves, six mullioned and transomed lights each. Round arched
entrance to left in angle with keystone rising up to cambered relieving arch.
Interior:- Private skittle alley along south side with white walls and round brick
arches over. Original wooden skittle rack and balls. Large brick stone and oak
inglenooks in end rooms of wings, original staircases and extensive high quality
oak frame in central hall range.
Garden terraces laid out by Gertrude Jekyll and survive almost intact.
HOUSES AND GARDENS By E. L. LUTYENS: L. WEAVER (1913)
Antique Collectors Edn. (1981) pp.35-41 figs 62-73.
BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971): NAIRN & PEVSNER p.86.
Listing NGR: TQ1201945389
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings