This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2395 / 51°14'22"N
Longitude: -0.297 / 0°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 518980
OS Northings: 150300
OS Grid: TQ189503
Mapcode National: GBR HGK.9Q3
Mapcode Global: VHGS7.S3VN
Entry Name: 14, CASTLE GARDENS (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 28 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289870
Location: Brockham, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Brockham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dorking St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Nos 8 to 12 (consec)
TQ 15 SE 8/96 28.11.51.
Formerly the stables to Betchworth Castle. Built in 1798-9 to a design by
John Soane. Since converted into cottages. The stables were built round
3 sides of a quadrangle. Faced with flints. Slate roof. 1 storey only,
except the centre of the north side which has a projection in the centre
of 1 window bay and 2 storeys flanked by pilasters with a round-headed arch
over the 1st floor window, eaves bracket cornice, hipped roof. Verandah
added to the ground floor with slate roof over [a drawing by Soane shows
Doric columns standing within the space of the central entrance way and
supporting a cornice across the lintel]. The portions flanking this have
4 window bays, each flanked by pilasters and containing round-headed windows,
one of which in each case has been converted into a door. Eaves cornice over.
The east and west wings of the quadrangle are similar buildings of 6 window
bays with the southernmost window bay projecting. 2 windows are blocked on
the west side and one converted into a door. One is blocked and 2 converted
into doors on the east side. The south ends of these wings have 4 pilasters
and one round-headed window each. Adjoining the east wing is a small early
C19 house of similar height (No 14). 2 storeys, 2 windows. Double hipped
slate roof with central stack. Sash windows with glazing bars above. Below,
casement windows in reveals with slightly segmental arches. All windows with
shutters. Photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: TQ1898050300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings