This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2312 / 51°13'52"N
Longitude: -0.3277 / 0°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 516853
OS Northings: 149334
OS Grid: TQ168493
Mapcode National: GBR HGJ.MZJ
Mapcode Global: VHGS7.89LZ
Entry Name: Pear Tree Cottage
Listing Date: 11 June 1973
Last Amended: 16 May 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289888
Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4
District: Mole Valley
Town: Mole Valley
District Council Ward: Dorking South
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dorking St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for:
TQ 1649 SE
1/20 Nos 27 and 28
(Pear Tree Cottage)
The entry shall be amended to read:
TQ 1649 SE DORKING DENE STREET
1/20 Pear Tree Cottage
Cottage. Late C16 or early C17 lobby entrance house with parlour crosswing,
subsequently subdivided with cottages but now back in one ownership. Timber
framed building on flint plinth with C19 painted brick infill to front; the
framing painted over but still visible under the paintwork. Parlour wing has
roughcast ground floor and first floor hung with bands of curved, pointed and
plain tiles. Tiled roof with right hand and brick stack, off central rendered
stack and C18 external brick stack to left hand side. 2 storeys, 3 windows, C20
casements. Ground floor has doorcase with early C19 wooden pedimented head on
brackets and 4 panelled door Outshut to rear. Early C17 plank door side eleva-
tion. Interior features include lounge having bressummer with chamfer and run
out steps, bread oven and spice or salt hole and rush light mark and dining room
with spine beam with 1 brick chamfer with lambs tongue stops and cambered
bressummer to open fireplace. Original rear wall of house under outshut has an
exposed curved tension trace. C19 4 panelled door and matchboard panelling.
Upper floor has late C16 jowled upright post visible, but the roof appears to be
an C18 one with angled queen struts.
Nos 27 and 28
(Pear Tree Cottage)
TQ 1649 SE 1/20
No 28 formerly known as Inglenook. Formerly 2 cottages; now only one.
C17 timber-framed building with mainly painted brick infilling, but the northern
part is plastered on the ground floor and tile hung above with a gable.
Tiled roof. Casement windows 2 storeys. 3 windows. Photograph in the
Listing NGR: TQ1685349334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings