History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20 and 22, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2313 / 51°13'52"N

Longitude: -0.3324 / 0°19'56"W

OS Eastings: 516530

OS Northings: 149334

OS Grid: TQ165493

Mapcode National: GBR HGJ.LT0

Mapcode Global: VHGS7.694X

Entry Name: 20 and 22, High Street

Listing Date: 28 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289907

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Dorking South

Built-Up Area: Dorking

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Dorking St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Dorking

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1049
(South-East Side)
Nos 20 and 22
TQ 1649 SE 1/1 28.11.51

II*

2.
Originally a building with a Cl6 core. C17 exterior; recently entirely demolished
except for the facade. Brickwork along the western side rebuilt in the style
of the original. 3 storeys. 5 windows. Red brick. Very fine late C18
double-bowed shop front with its glazing bars intact, modillion cornice over
and doorway in the centre flanked by twin engaged columns, the upper halves
fluted, with similar columns flanking the shop front. Ionic brick pilasters
flank the centre 1st floor window above. Double moulded brick cornice above
the 1st floor with keystone effect in it above the windows which flank the
centre window. Parapet, recently rebuilt. Tiled roof. Mural paintings were
found in several rooms of the old building during demolition and fragments
of these have been preserved and are on display in the shop: a fragment
of an early C17 floral pattern which apparently entirely covered the walls
of a small rear room; crude pattern of flowers and foliage arranged in painted
panels. Above the fireplace of this room was a Royal Coat of Arms, possibly
of James I; most of this remains. From another room is a C17 fragment of
a striped pattern in reds, oranges, greens and yellows (colours probably
faded) which again entirely covered the walls. From a first floor front
room are C16 and C17 fragments of a border pattern with trefoils in the corners,
and of an animal (perhaps wolf or lion) and foliage from the central part
(of the ceiling?). All the paintings are thought to have been executed in
casine bound distemper. This building is still Grade II* on account of its
pilastered brick facade and late Cl8 shop front.


Listing NGR: TQ1653049334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.