This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4322 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -0.5598 / 0°33'35"W
OS Eastings: 500214
OS Northings: 171343
OS Grid: TQ002713
Mapcode National: GBR F97.39M
Mapcode Global: VHFTP.78XD
Entry Name: Runnymede Park
Listing Date: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289764
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, TW20
District Council Ward: Englefield Green East
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Egham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 07 SW EGHAM TITE HILL
- Runnymede Park
Mansion. 1789-1792. By Samuel Wyatt. Brick walls, rendered Coade stone panels.
Roof of hipped green Penrhyn slate with parapet. Three storeys. Rectangular
plan with wing on north end. Entrance front facing west. Centre section breaks
forward slightly with triangular pediment over. Heavily moulded eaves cornice,
string course over ground floor. Seven windows, square on second floor, all
with architrave surrounds. Triangular pediments on small brackets over first
floor and flat cornices on brackets over ground floor sash windows. Large open
porch in centre of front with entablature supported by 8 Doric columns and 2
Doric pilasters. Central round headed doorway flanked by flat pilasters inside
porch. Semicircular fanlight with tracery above double half glazed doors.
Garden front to east is of similar general character but with 2 storeys, 7
windows. First floor windows with architrave surrounds and triangular pediments
on brackets. Ground floor with architrave surrounds and flat cornices on
brackets. Sash windows with glazing bars. Vertical glazing bars are wood,
horizontal are metal. The space between ground and first floors is decorated by
panels directly in line with windows. These panels are mostly rectangular and
filled by swags and paterae but the centre section has two oval panels with
finely moulded figured reliefs in Coade stone. Central round headed doorway
with architrave over supported by two Doric columns. Semicircular fanlight with
tracery above half glazed doors. One storey additions to each side of house
having heavily moulded entablature supported by Doric pilasters with individual
pediments above the cornice, French windows with small panes. Interior: Inside
the main part of the house the entrance hall to the garden has a groin vault
with large foliated bosses. The main entrance hall is divided from this smaller
hall by a square headed opening with a semicircular fanlight with tracery above.
The ceilings of the main hall and at the top of the staircase have modillion
cornices. Fine dog-leg staircase with anthemion motif in the wrought iron
balusters. Adam fireplace. Ground floors constructed on parallel brick barrel
vaults typical of Samuel Wyatt's construction.
Surrey CC Records 86/10/25 Abstract of Title 1575-1754
Indenture of 5 October 1699
Jebb Family 1760-1787 - Surrey CC Records drawing 83/10/47 a:b and sale
particulars 1805. 56/61/5/4
Howard Colvin - Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1978
J M Robinson - 'The Wyatt Family' O.U.P 1980, 'The Dukes of Norfolk;
Quincentennial History', 'The Latest Country Houses' Bodley Head 1984 and
Listing NGR: TQ0021471343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings