History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spelthorne St Mary Chapel to North West

A Grade II Listed Building in Runnymede, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.408 / 51°24'28"N

Longitude: -0.5306 / 0°31'50"W

OS Eastings: 502299

OS Northings: 168693

OS Grid: TQ022686

Mapcode National: GBR GBS.QP9

Mapcode Global: VHFTP.RVCZ

Entry Name: Spelthorne St Mary Chapel to North West

Listing Date: 17 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028933

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289793

Location: Runnymede, Surrey, TW20

County: Surrey

District: Runnymede

Town: Runnymede

Local Authority Ward: Thorpe

Built-Up Area: Broomhall/Windlesham/Virginia

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Thorpe

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe

Listing Text

TQ 06 NW THORPE COLDHARBOUR LANE

6/105 Spelthorne St Mary Chapel
- to north west

GV II

Formerly convent chapel now teaching space. Built 1907 at Feltham, Sir Ninian
Comper. Rebuilt at Spelthorne St Mary 1931 recorded on plaque. West bay sub-
sequently added by Edward Plaque in original style but with insertion of two
stone windows with cusped heads (unknown provenance but came through Sir
N Compers' office). Four bays, nave and aisles with slightly projecting
sanctuary. Aisles and west end separated by a wood screen with thin Perpen-
dicular tracery and a carved and gilded beading. Building timber framed with
elaborate crown post roof to nave; aisles framed separately. Five-light wood
framed windows with round heads to lights. Wainscotting with embattled top in
aisles. Sanctuary bay has polychrome painted patterned rafters and a reredos of
the Crucifixion with six saints in the round; also a suspended square altar
canopy. Externally plain brick with tiled roof.

Listing NGR: TQ0229968693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.