This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2837 / 51°17'1"N
Longitude: -0.2167 / 0°13'0"W
OS Eastings: 524465
OS Northings: 155353
OS Grid: TQ244553
Mapcode National: GBR BW.XQX
Mapcode Global: VHGRX.6Z9S
Entry Name: Kingswood Court
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289585
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, KT20
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Locality: Kingswood with Burgh Heath
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Kingswood St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 25 NW WARREN LODGE DRIVE
3/105 Kingswood Court
House, now old people's home. 1912. By Ernest Newton; buiders Messrs Collins and
Godfrey, Tewksbury. Purpleish red brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings.
Plain tile roof. 2 storeys with attic; service using 1 storey with attic. Entrance
elevation has 3-bay service wing to left of main range of 11 bays arranged 2:3:1:3:2
central and end bays projecting. In Neo-Georgian style paving: plinth; rusticated
quoins; giant pilasters with bands of darker brick rising into moulded cornice;
coped parapet with dies over pilasters; 12-pane sashes with keyed flat brick arches
and stone sills. Central bay: step up to ashlar porch with ionic columns supporting
round-arched hood; recessed panelled double-door having side-lights with linked-
oval glazing bars, and small-paned fanlight; lst-floor window, in raised panel,
has moulded brick architrave; returns each have oeil-de-boeuf to ground floor and
1st floor window in moulded brick architrave. Bays 8 and 9 are blind on ground
floor, apart from oculus on right, and have tall 18-pane sashed stair windows on
1st floor. M-roof, hipped at ends and over projecting end bays, having eight 2-
light, leaded casement dormers with alternate segmental and triangular pediments,
and 3 broad corniced stacks in valley. Service wing, set back on left, has three
2-light leaded windows to ground floor, and one to centre of 1st floor breaking
eaves under hipped roof. C1980 annexe added to right not of special interest.
Garden (rear) elevation: 9 bays, 1:2:1:2:1:2 bays, the 2 right-hand bays subsidiary
and set back slightly leaving main range with central entrance and 2-storey canted
bays to outer bays; lower service wing to right. Platt band to central bays.
Entrance bay: paired double-doors with small-pane glazing in semicircular ashlar
portico having 3 steps, ionic coloumns (distyle in antis) supporting entablature
with pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice, and balcony above with decorative iron
railings; 1st floor bay breaks forward (3 times) and has tall sash with fanlight
in rusticated round-arched surround. 8 dormers as before, but of 4 lights over
entrance. Left return: on right, small-paned double door in moulded brick architrave
with blind window over; canted bay on left; 3 segmental pedimented dormers.
Interior: retains original decor including panelling, moulded cornices and ceiling
mouldings, panelled doors and decorative fireplaces. Entrance lobby has marbled
floor, plaster festoons and quadripartite vault. The entrance and stair halls are
particularly lavish, the former with elaborate architrave to door into former study;
the latter having wooden open-string stair with turned, fluted balusters, columnar
newels, ramped handrail with massive spiral curtail, and on 1st floor landing an
ionic distyle in antis colonnade.
The house is described by Newton's son as one of his four great houses.
W G Newton, The Work of Ernest Newton RA (1925)
R Brown (ed), Architectural Outsiders.
Listing NGR: TQ2446555353
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings