History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Reigate and Banstead, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.322 / 51°19'19"N

Longitude: -0.2008 / 0°12'2"W

OS Eastings: 525471

OS Northings: 159641

OS Grid: TQ254596

Mapcode National: GBR CN.G2X

Mapcode Global: VHGRX.G1QB

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 24 July 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289509

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, SM7

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Town: Reigate and Banstead

District Council Ward: Banstead Village

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Banstead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Banstead

Listing Text


TQ 25NE HIGH STREET
4/8 (South Side)
Banstead
24.7.54 Church of All Saints
(Formerly listed under
General)

GV II*

Church. Late C12 and early C13, restored in 1861 by G E Street. Knapped flint with
stone dressings and plain tile roof. 5 bay aisled nave with north and south chapels
to 3 bay chancel; west tower and north and south porches, north east vestry. Two
stage tower with set back buttresses and shingled broach spire, latter with
weathervane, gilt clock to 3 faces. Nave with leaded dormers under hipped roofs and
gabled timber porches; north door oak. North chancel chapel with Cl5 window in east
end; south chancel chapel rendered and restored by the Lambert family in late C19.
INTERIOR: Nave arcade of two bays on octagonal piers with blocked-out crocket
capitals. Chancel chapels of two bays, octagonal piers; with northern pier with
alternating flat and hollow sides. Tower and chancel arch with slight chamfers.
Octagonal perpendicular font with traceried panels on plinth. Monuments include
tablet in nave east wall to Paul Tracey died 1618, Mrs Elizabeth Till died 1748:
Rococo cartouche on south aisle wall with brackets and pilasters to either side.
Nicholas Lambert died 1755: pilastered aedicular type hanging with garland in the
predella. Wilmot Lambert died 1815: Grecian monument with rising female figure.
PEVNSER: Buildings of England: SURREY 1971 Penguin. pp 102-3.


Listing NGR: TQ2547159641

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.