This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2825 / 51°16'56"N
Longitude: -0.25 / 0°14'59"W
OS Eastings: 522146
OS Northings: 155156
OS Grid: TQ221551
Mapcode National: GBR JHC.HMG
Mapcode Global: VHGS2.M166
Entry Name: Walton Manor House
Listing Date: 24 July 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289487
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, KT20
District: Reigate and Banstead
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Tadworth and Walton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Walton-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
CHEQUERS LANE (North Side)
Walton Manor House
(Formerly listed as Walton Manor South)
Medieval house. C14 onwards, remodelled in the C17 and late C19 and much reduced.
Older parts have prominent quantities of greens and mixed with flint Cl9 parts brick,
half timber and tile hanging in the Norman Shaw manner. Cl9 plain tile roof with
rubbed brick stacks. Embedded in the extension are the remains of the manor house,
consisting of a 2 storey hall and chapel projecting forward at the east end. The only
remains: are in the west end of the house - see 'Interior'. 2 storeys, mixed
fenestration one early C17 mullion and transom window survives; 4 lights with drip,
now part concealed behind porch. C20 variant on first floor above and armorial
plaster panel between dated 1626. Projecting 2 bay wing to the right with C19 sash
windows; restored buttresses and gable lit attic. Slight protruding portion to the
left with one C16 ground floor window set in deep recess and to the left a large c1880
Interior: Fine Adam style fireplaces on ground floor rooms on SE corner, large Cl8
and C19 panelled drawing room to south west with remains of the west wall of the old
manor; a stone wall with moulded doorway and an arched triangular window either
side. This is the only remaining house of this type in Surrey.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey 1971.
Listing NGR: TQ2214655156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings