This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2659 / 51°15'57"N
Longitude: -0.1533 / 0°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 528936
OS Northings: 153481
OS Grid: TQ289534
Mapcode National: GBR JHP.J24
Mapcode Global: VHGS4.9FBX
Entry Name: The Close the Little House the Old School House
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 31 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289397
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH1
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
District Council Ward: Merstham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Merstham
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The Little House
The Old School House
(formerly listed as
the Old School House)
TQ 2853 SE 3/104 19.10.51.
Now 3 dwellings. The back part, (The Close and the Little House) was almshouses
rebuilt in 1816. A tablet on them records that "This Poorhouse was rebuilt and
the land given by Hylton Joliffe Esq. 1816". 2 storeys, 7 windows. Red brick.
Tiled roof. Casement windows. In the centre of the south-east or main front
is a porch with a room over, now tile-hung with a half-hipped gable. At right-angles
facing the street is the old village school. This is a half-H-shaped building.
The north-west wing is part of the timber-framed building, and has ceiling timbers
inside but has been rebuilt externally. 2 storeys. 2 windows facing south and
1 window facing west. Red brick and grey headers. Church windows. The south-west
wing, which is similar in style, is all of red brick and was probably built later
than 1847. The connecting portion between has one storey and attic and 1 window.
Listing NGR: TQ2893753470
Other nearby listed buildings