This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.261 / 51°15'39"N
Longitude: -0.1747 / 0°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 527457
OS Northings: 152895
OS Grid: TQ274528
Mapcode National: GBR JHN.YFH
Mapcode Global: VHGS3.XKJP
Entry Name: Gatton Town Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289325
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Hill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Gatton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Gatton Town Hall
Town hall to Rotten Borough. Late C18. Wooden small square ornamental garden temple with 6 Tuscan columns,triglyph frieze and pediment on stone pavement. Four of the columns are on the side facing the big house, but for economy the rear only has two columns. Here the few electors of Gatton cast their votes to return 2 members of Parliament until disenfranchised in the 1832 Reform Act. Behind the "Town Hall" is an urn inscribed "in memory of the deceased Borough" although it bears the date 1765(MDCCLXV). This is a stone urn with serpents entwined on a deep moulded plinth with wreathed rounders. That nearest the Town Hall reads "COMITIUM GATTONIENSE MDCCLXV", to the left "SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX ESTO", to the rear "STAT DUCTIS SORTIBUS URNA" and to the right "H M DOLUS MALUS ABESTO".
Listing NGR: TQ2745752895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings