History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Baron's

A Grade II* Listed Building in Reigate and Banstead, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.238 / 51°14'16"N

Longitude: -0.203 / 0°12'10"W

OS Eastings: 525542

OS Northings: 150287

OS Grid: TQ255502

Mapcode National: GBR JJ0.9GZ

Mapcode Global: VHGS9.F4JT

Entry Name: The Baron's

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 31 March 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289291

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Town: Reigate and Banstead

Locality: Reigate Central

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Reigate

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Reigate

Listing Text

CHURCH STREET
1.
5388
(South Side)
Reigate
No 46 (The Baron's)
[formerly listed as No 20]
TQ 2550 SE 13/30 19.10.51.

II*

2.
This house was erected by Richard Devon in 1721 and the rainwater head had "R
Devon 1721" on it. But it is called after Frances Maseres, Cursitor Baron of
the Exchequer, who lived there from 1774-1824. He was an eccentric character
who was born during the reign of George II and who continued to the end of his
life to wear the costume of that period. It was later used as a dower house by
the Somers family when they owned Reigate Priory. Lady Henry Somerset lived here
after she had made the Priory over to her son until her death in 1921. 2 storeys
and attic. Original portion 5 windows, 3 dormers. Red Brick. Cornice and panelled
parapet. Hipped tiled roof. The centre window bay projects slightly. Windows
in moulded architrave surrounds are sashes with glazing bars. Gauged flat brick
arches above and aprons below. Door of 6 fielded panels, with patterned fanlight,
in Ionic doorcase with modillioned cornice and pediment. Good wrought iron area
railings. To the east is a recessed portion of 3 windows probably added in the
late C19, though it has the rainwater head with 1721 on it. To the east of this
is a still further recessed modern addition of 2 windows.


Listing NGR: TQ2554450287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.