This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2368 / 51°14'12"N
Longitude: -0.5684 / 0°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 500039
OS Northings: 149602
OS Grid: TQ000496
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.F39
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.35CP
Entry Name: Somerset House
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029265
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288984
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 0049NW GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
6/118 Nos 220, 222, 224
1/5/53 and 226 (Somerset
listed as Nos 222 and
Former Town Mansion, now divided up into shops and offices. Late C17/possibly
c.1700, built for Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset; altered in C18, C19 (to
rear) and C20 on the ground floor. Interiors re-arranged in 1847. Good quality
purple/brown brick laid in Flemish bond on right half of front and on right hand
return front, with wooden eaves cornice above and hipped plain-tiled roof. Two
storeys and attics under two segmentally-pedimented, ribbed-roof casement dormers,
one either side of centre. Cross-ridge multiple stacks to left of centre, rebuilt
stack to left end. Symmetrical 7 bay front around a central projecting,quoined
bay under Dutch gable and pediment and with giant pilaster order of ribbed gauged-
brick on channelled plinths and with pulvinated frieze above. Plat bands over
ground and first floors. Central oculus in gable with decorative roundel glazing
and gauged-brick surround, string course rising up from frieze below to enclose it.
Round-arched glazing-bar sash window on first floor below with scrolled gauged-
brick architrave surround and casement doors to lower half, decorative quartered
roundel and shouldered lights above. Casement doors open onto small balcony with
wrought-iron brackets below and decorative railings in front, central,S-scrolled
roundel panel and flanking S panels with twisted railings between and on corners.
Double,glazed,doors below in architrave surround, approached up stairs of sedan
type i.e. two side flights to central landing, with similar scrolled iron panel
to centre of railings with swept ends to balustrade, spiral standards and urn
finials. Rusticated stilted-arched opening below stair landing. Three bays
either side with flush, 12-pane,glazing-bar sash windows under gauged-brick heads
on the first floor and C20 glass shop fronts below. Right hand return front -
blocked windows on both floors but two windows survive with thicker glazing bars
possibly suggesting earlier date than front windows.
Interior:- fine Imperial staircase, probably moved in various internal
re-organizations. Single flight up with barley-sugar twist balusters and ribbed
square end newels. Stairs divide to landings on first floor with blocked round-
arched panel on landing wall. Open archway formerly flanked the stairway on the
ground floor. Octagonal panelling on first floor landing wall with upper landing
panelled with reeded edges. Barrel-vaulted rectangular roof above with central
round panel and end semi-circular panelling all with reeded edges.
Charles Seymour, known as "The Proud Duke" built the house as a stopping-off
point on the journey from his estates at Petworth to London.
M. ALEXANDER: VINTAGE GUILDFORD (1978)
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.284.
Listing NGR: TQ0003349596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings