History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Angel Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guildford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2356 / 51°14'8"N

Longitude: -0.5738 / 0°34'25"W

OS Eastings: 499663

OS Northings: 149457

OS Grid: SU996494

Mapcode National: GBR FCJ.KQD

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.06HM

Entry Name: The Angel Hotel

Listing Date: 1 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288923

Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Town: Guildford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text



SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
(North Side)

8/61 No. 91 (The Angel
1/5/53 Hotel)


GV II*

Hotel, former posting house. C13 undercroft below with C16 and C17 framed house
above, re-clad in the C19 and extended to rear around courtyard in later C19 and
C20. Chalk and brick undercroft, timber framed house above with frame exposed on
right hand return front, colourwashed stucco on front with stone-coped parapet
obscuring hipped plain tiled roofs, end-on to street, slate roofs over rear ranges.
Three storey three windowed range to left, two storey two windowed range to right
with stacks to left of centre. Vermiculated-block end pilasters and eaves cornice
above. Three bay range to left has C19 12-pane glazing-bar sash fenestration, 3
windows on first and second floors in projecting architrave surrounds and with
corbelled sills. S-section iron balconys across the first floor and extending to
the right hand range. Rusticated ground floor with two tripartite glazing-bar sash
windows under voussoir heads. Basement window to left where ground slopes away.
Double doors to centre under flat cornice hood on Doric pilasters. Right hand
range - has three 12-pane glazing-bar sash windows on the first floor over through-
way to courtyard below under elliptical arch with keystone and chamfered piers
flanking. Right hand return wall facing throughway:- frame exposed with white-
washed brick infill. Braced main posts and wide joists over end bay. Main lintel
on left wall of throughway in Jacobean style with lozenge panel decoration. One
double bay arcade to right now filled in with leaded glass and strapwork decoration.
Jacobean Ionic baluster pilasters to ends with block band and lozenge decorations.
Late C19 and C20 ranges around a cobbled courtyard to the rear, mainly executed in
imitation timber frame style with gables projecting and balcony across the first
floor of the northern (rear range) containing a further passage giving access to
North Street.
Interior:- exposed framing throughout, some imitation and much re-used. Entrance
hall has C20 timber and panelled gallery around sides, deep fireplace to one end
and blocked 4-light mullioned window in side wall. Complex roof plan with wind-
bracing and braced collar trusses. Undercroft - C13 chalk and stone with 6 bays of
quadripartite rib vaulting. carried on round piers and wall corbels; stepped plinths
to centre piers. The Angel undercroft appears to be an exception to the standard
plan in that it has an internal staircase to the floor above (as does Nos. 72/4
High Street), but also seems to be unique in having no direct access from the main
(High) street. The principal entrance was from the rear of the building and
originally there were two windows built in the front wall facing the High Street,
one of which was removed in 1939 but originally consisted of 2 chamfered pointed
lights:

Photographs in N.M.R.

MARGARET WOOD: THIRTEENTH CENTURY DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE IN ENGLAND (Article)
ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL 105 (1950)suppl. p.83 and pl. 8L.
SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS (OFFPRINT) VOL. LXXIV (1983): (Article) THE
UNDERCROFT 72/4 HIGH STR. GUILDFORD BY M. G. O'CONNELL AND SHIRLEY CORKE.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.282.


Listing NGR: SU9964949493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.