This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.236 / 51°14'9"N
Longitude: -0.5719 / 0°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 499796
OS Northings: 149503
OS Grid: SU997495
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.D80
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.16JB
Entry Name: Lloyds Bank
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029287
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288937
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
District Council Ward: Holy Trinity
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949NE & SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
5/75 & 8/75 Nos. 145 and 147
1/5/53 (Lloyds Bank)
Bank. 1765 with C19 alterations, left end reconstructed in 1899 and with C20
extensions to rear. Deep red header bond brick above colourwashed and rendered
ground floor with parapet above obscuring plain-tiled roof. Three storeys with
terracotta plat bands on the first floor with egg and dart moulding, egg and
dart decorated cornice to base of parapet. Corbelled ridge stacks to ends and
left of centre, prominent decorative rainwater heads and down pipe to left.
Five bays with replacement 16-pane glazing-bar sash windows on the second floor
under gauged brick heads and flanked by shutters. Five 12-pane sashes on the
first floor with similar surrounds. Three wood-framed, round-headed fixed
windows on the ground floor with glazing-bars, over panelled risers and under
egg and dart band and with scrolled keystones. Roman Ionic pilasters articulating
across the ground floor with modillioned cornice and entablature above. Panelled
double doors to right of centre in Ionic half-column surround with impost mouldings
extending and linking to windows. Wood-traceried fanlight and foliage pattern
panels either side of doors, portrait head keystone above.
Interior:- Banking Hall:- fielded panelled roof coved at eaves with egg and dart
bands to central rectangular well. Panelled flat section above central well with
plasterwork rose panels. Arcades on 3 sides of hall on panelled piers with
plasterwork cartouches on spandrels.
This building was the Guildford Old Bank and a plaque on the front of the building
records that the front was retained in the late C19 alterations at the special
request of H.R.H. Princess Louise and the Lord Lieutenant of Surrey.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.282-3.
Listing NGR: SU9979449510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings