This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2328 / 51°13'58"N
Longitude: -0.5775 / 0°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 499413
OS Northings: 149140
OS Grid: SU994491
Mapcode National: GBR FCJ.QSH
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.Y82S
Entry Name: The Court
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288869
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU2
Electoral Ward/Division: Friary and St Nicolas
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949 NW GUILDFORD BURY FIELDS
7/7 Nos 1 to 15 (consec)
1/5/53 (The Court)
Communal house block. 1902 by H. Thackery Turner. Red-brown brick below with
colourwashed render above over tiled drip course; steeply pitched, plain-tiled
roofs. Half-H shape plan with end wings splayed out. Two storeys and attics in
large gabled dormers. Cross-ridge stacks, 3 to each end wing, and 8 paired
stacks on front and rear pitches of centre range; all with brick-dentilled
corbelled tops. End pier buttresses to inner sides of wings, deep eaves above
throughout. Wood-framed casement fenestration with moulded architrave surrounds
in dormers, butting into the roof on the jambs. Three, 3-light and one 2-light
gabled dormer on south wing, five 3-light and one 2-light dormer on north. Eight
3-light dormers, in 4 pairs either side of stacks, on main range. Three 4-light
windows on first floor of south wing with one 3-light window to right and one 2-
light window to left. Five 4-light windows on first floor of north wing with one
2-light window in corner. Eight 4-light windows on the first floor of the main
range. Five 4-light windows to north, eight on main range and 4 on south.
Panelled doors in porch recesses under segmental heads with 3 sets of paired half-
glazed doors to main range and single doors in angles. Single 6-panel doors in
wings. Small gabled porch on end of north wing with steps up to door with original
fittings. One of a number of buildings by Turner in the locality.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND: SURREY (1971) P.291.
Listing NGR: SU9941049146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings