This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2509 / 51°15'3"N
Longitude: -0.5052 / 0°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 504418
OS Northings: 151250
OS Grid: TQ044512
Mapcode National: GBR GDR.K2W
Mapcode Global: VHFVH.6T8G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288804
Location: West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: West Clandon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: West Clandon
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SW WEST CLANDON C.P. THE STREET
4/223 Church of St Peter and
14/6/67 St Paul
Church. Nave late C12, chancel C13 with tower to north of 1879 by J. C. Boys, who
restored the Church, spire rebuilt by T. G. Jackson in 1913. Random flint rubble
with stone dressings, plain tiled roofs, renewed, with weatherboarded and wooden
louvred top section to short tower, wood shingled broach spire above. Nave with
south porch, chancel to east with tower to north-east and vestry to north east
corner. Short tower with offset buttresses to north corners, and polygonal stair
turret under gabled roof to south west angle, at junction with nave. Squat broach
spire above. Five trefoil-light, cusped-head,depressed arches to each face of the
tower at the top. Large C19/C20 arched window to north with clock face above.
Diagonal buttresses to east end with C14 East Window: Three trefoil, ogee arched
lights with 2 centre arch and cusped net tracery. Two chamfered orders and label
outside. West Window C15 with cinque-foil lights under flat segmental arch. Two
Lancet windows and sundial to north side of chancel, one C19 window to south side.
Double Lancet to west side of south wall, renewed window. Gabled, half-open porch
to south, some timbers originating from C14. C19 stone, chamfered, round arched
surround to south door.
Interior: heavily restored 6 bay nave. Nave roof C15, collar beams and tie beams
surviving, reconstructed in C19. C14 chancel roof, chancel arch widened.
Fittings: South wall. Two piscinae, the eastern one round headed, western square.
C13 sedelia -C13 with engaged shaft on each jamb in hollow chamfers, moulded base
with 3 rounds and bell capitals. Late C19 pulpit, stone with black marble pillars
and roundel decoration.
Font - Sussex marble bowl, square,with tapering sides in which are arcades of
shallow circular headed arches, part chiselled off. Centre stem with surrounding
Onslow pew - to west end of nave. Fine late C17, possibly Italian, with carved
arm rests with cherub's heads.
Painting - 3 figures on board to south side of chancel.
Carving - panel of dragon & reptile fighting, attached to S. Porch.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 506-7.
V.C.H. Surrey (1967 ed) Vol III pp 348-9.
Listing NGR: TQ0441851250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings