This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2978 / 51°17'52"N
Longitude: -0.4734 / 0°28'24"W
OS Eastings: 506527
OS Northings: 156514
OS Grid: TQ065565
Mapcode National: GBR 1N.5B6
Mapcode Global: VHFV9.RM2Z
Entry Name: Ockham Park House
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288692
Location: Ockham, Guildford, Surrey, GU23
Civil Parish: Ockham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockham with Hatchford and Downside
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ O5NE OCKHAM C.P. OCKHAM PARK
2/111 Ockham Park House
Country House. Originally built in c.1638 for the Weston Family, altered in 1728-9
by Nicholas Hawksmoor for the first Lord King, extended in c.1830 in Italianate
style for the seventh Lord King. Majority of house burnt down in 1948. Stripped
and part restored in 1970's. Brown and red brick with hipped plain-tiled roofs
obscured by parapets. Square block, 7 bays each side with lower extension to left.
2 storeys and attic over basement storey with central brick pavilion to roof.
Entrance front:- moulded brick plat bands over basement, ground and first floors
and to top of parapet with end pilaster piers. Two 3 bay ranges, either side of
central shallow single bay recess. One Venetian window in attic storey, either side
of centre with 2 sections of parapet raised up over. C20 fenestration, with all
windows under gauged brick heads, 18-light glazing bar sash windows on main floor.
Round arched fixed casement to centre of first floor. Former door to centre under
gauged brick head, now blocked. Pavilion on roof: square with brick pilaster piers
to corners under brick cornice. Octagonal lantern above under lead, ogee roof -
capped by sphere finial. 4 brick walls containing arched openings placed diagonally
from corners of pavilion with square brick stacks on the ends.
Right hand return front:- 7 bays with centre paired and end pilaster piers.
Two storey single bay extension to left end with end pilaster piers and a large splay
sided C20 brick recess on centre of left hand return front under cement lintel.
Interior: gutted and part restored. Empty at time of resurvey.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 394.
Country Life. Article "Ockham Park, Surrey" Newly discovered designs by
Laurence Whistler. December 29, 1950 pp. 2218-2221.
Listing NGR: TQ0652756514
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings