This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2549 / 51°15'17"N
Longitude: -0.4822 / 0°28'55"W
OS Eastings: 506017
OS Northings: 151736
OS Grid: TQ060517
Mapcode National: GBR GDS.BWS
Mapcode Global: VHFVH.LQGB
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288594
Location: East Clandon, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: East Clandon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: East Clandon
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SE EAST CLANDON C.P. THE STREET
5/14 Church of St. Thomas
14/6/67 of Canterbury
Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel with north aisle and bell tower added in 1900 by
Sir T. G. Jackson. Random flint rubble walls with stone and brick dressings, brick
quoins to buttresses and plain tiled roofs. Wood shingled tower under pyramidal,
shingled spire - some shingles laid in diamond patterning on tower walls. Nave with
aisle/chapel to the north, chancel to the east, porch to the south and tower to the
west. Diagonal buttresses to west end, buttresses to junction of nave and chancel,
and to the east. Iron finial to short spire with wooden clockface on south side of
tower, below. Mixed fenestration in Perpendicular style to nave, Early English to
chancel. Lancets to Chancel with two splay sided windows to east end. Cusped-head,
3 light windows to nave and aisle/chapel. C13 "shouldered" stone door surround to
north, fine 1-step, brick,C16 door surround, now blocked, to west end, under "Tudor"
style arch. Gabled, wavy edged bargeboarded porch; timber framed with rendered
infill and brick lining. Simple arched surround to studded door.
Interior:- Simple. Stone floor, braced collar roof. Simple chamfered chancel
arch, moulded and chamfered arch to north side of nave on full round pier and half
round pier respond with moulded capitals. Pentice plasterwork ceiling in Jacobean
style with strapwork decoration and oakleafs, portraits of the patron saints of
the British Isles and roses - designed by Sir T. G. Jackson. 3 bay,crown post roof
Fittings:- C17 altar rails with square balusters arcading along top. Oak pulpit
with foliage carving, metal handrail to stone steps. C18 round font on baluster
stem. 3 wooden hatchments to west end and 3 further hatchments over chancel arch.
Monuments:- Mainly simple wall tablets. North Chapel: Chest tomb in wall niche,
dedicated to Stuart, Baron Rendel of Hatchlands, and his wife. Died 1912/3.
Designed by H Goodhart-Rendel in a neo-gothic style. Buttressed niches containing
saints flank the rib-vaulted wall recess under an ogee arched, crocketed and
finialed arcade canopy. Cusped arch arcade to front with pendant bosses. Black
stone lid with inscribed cross on tomb chest, resting on a black stone plinth.
Coloured coats of arms and gilt figures in niches adorn the sides of the chest.
North Chancel wall: Monument to Mrs Catherine Summer. Died 1777. Brown marble
obelisk over grey stone, rectangular panel containing inscription. Flanked by
scrolls and crowned by broken pediment, white urn over. Bracketed apron panel
containing portrait profile. Stained Glass - South window by A. S. Moore. The
Church stands on a prominent,central, village site.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 203
Listing NGR: TQ0601551735
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings