History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hound House

A Grade II Listed Building in Shere, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1927 / 51°11'33"N

Longitude: -0.4636 / 0°27'48"W

OS Eastings: 507457

OS Northings: 144837

OS Grid: TQ074448

Mapcode National: GBR GFL.3MK

Mapcode Global: VHFVW.X981

Entry Name: Hound House

Listing Date: 14 June 1967

Last Amended: 16 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288458

Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: Shere

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Shere

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Albury

Listing Text

Ewhurst Road

In the entry for Shere CP Hound House

10/194

The address shall be amended to read: Hound House Road
Hound House

------------------------------------

TQ 04 SE SHERE CP EWHURST ROAD

10/194 Hound House
14.6.67

GV II

House. Mid C16 to rear, extended to left in C17, further extensions across
the front of 1815 and to ends in mid C19, C20 extensions to rear.

Front range: colourwashed stucco with low pitched, hipped, slate roof. Two
storeys over basement with deep corbelled eaves and stacks to rear left and
right. Regular front: three sash windows across first floor, two 16-pane
glazing bar sashes to ground floor. Doubled panel doors in recessed porch
to centre with oval fan light, flanking lights and moulded wood frame.
Half-oval portico with flutted Doric columns and pilasters on angled responds
supporting full entablature. One bay set back to right of sandstone block
with brick dressings on left hand return front. C20 wing extending to rear
left of 45° parallel to front range and set slightly to right is old house:
timber framed clad in sandstone and chalk block with painted brick dressings.
Some posts of the frame visible. Plain tiled roof, hipped to left, hipped
with gablet to right. Triple corbelled stack to right and smaller front
ridge stack to right of centre. Irregular easement fenestration, largely
leaded. Four windows on first floor with larger casements to first floor
left breaking up into eaves. Two cambered head windows to ground floor
with one pair of casement doors to left. Panelled door to centre under
hipped roof open porch. Wing canted at 45° to right end.


Listing NGR: TQ0745744837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.