This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1929 / 51°11'34"N
Longitude: -0.4644 / 0°27'51"W
OS Eastings: 507398
OS Northings: 144859
OS Grid: TQ073448
Mapcode National: GBR GFL.3DW
Mapcode Global: VHFVW.W8TW
Entry Name: The Oak Barn Approximately 35 Metres to North West of Hound House
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Last Amended: 16 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288459
Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Shere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for Shere CP Ewhurst Road
Barn to North
west of Hound
The address shall be amended to read: Hound House Road
The Oak Barn approx
35m to north west of
and the description shall be amended to read:
Two barns now one. C17 and early C18 of 2 builds, removed to present site C19,
outshut added C19, reroofed c1980. Timber framed on sandstone rubble and brick
plinths with weatherboard cladding and plain tiled roof. 3:5 bays with rear
outshuts, earlier barn on right, outshut to left barn added. North front: plinth
walls approx 1 metre high, cart entry in bay 4 (left bay of earlier barn) masked
by C20 open shelter (not of special interest). Left barn has roof half hipped
with gablet on left, and was formerly half hipped at right end also. Rear:
opposing cart entry under hipped roof with lower roofed outshuts either side,
that on left having stable door with one window to left and two to right; that
on right open fronted with C19 jowelled posts on brick and stone padstones, the
bays with cambered lintels. Interior: timber frame is of tall rectangular
panels with curved tension braces and straight braces to the beams which support
queen post and queen strut roofs; early principal rafters; some wind braces
remain; rafters mostly replaced. Between bays 3 and 4 the tie beam and collar
have mortices in their soffits to take the studs of the former end wall. The
barns were originally situated approx 40 metres to the north east, flanking a
lane (now the drive). They were removed to their present positions, the later
barn at some time between 1813 and 1843, the earlier barn between 1843 and 1870.
Domestic Building Research Group, Surrey, Report 1981. Ordnance Survey and Tithe Maps.
TQ 04 SE SHERE CP EWHURST ROAD
10/195 Barn to North West
of Hound House
Barn. C17, extended in C18 and re-roofed in C19/C20. Timber framed on
sandstone rubble and brick plinths with weatherboarded cladding and plain
tiled roof, half-hipped to right and stepping down to left. Rectangular.
Eight framed bays. Through entrance to left under corrugated iron flat
roof projection to front and hipped roof to rear.
Interior: Queen post and queen strut roofs with diagonal bracing to frame.
Included for group value only.
Listing NGR: TQ0739844859
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings