This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2007 / 51°12'2"N
Longitude: -0.6649 / 0°39'53"W
OS Eastings: 493375
OS Northings: 145453
OS Grid: SU933454
Mapcode National: GBR FCT.LQC
Mapcode Global: VHFVS.F2BW
Entry Name: Aldro School
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288371
Location: Shackleford, Guildford, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Shackleford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shackleford and Peper Harow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013
SU 94 NW
(Formerly listed as the The Stables,Aldro School)
House, now school. 1894-1896 incorporating part of C18 house to left,
porch added in 1906. By Henry Tanner Jnr for Sir Edgar Horne. Coursed
Bargate stone to left with red brick above, stone dressings and rendered
gable. Galleted sandstone with brick dressings to left, plain tiled roofs
of varying heights, hipped to ends. L-shaped plan with wing projecting to
front left, cobbled courtyard in re-entrant angle.
Left range: C18. Two storeys with plat band over ground floor and moulded
wooden eaves board with corbelled ridge stack to left, massive ribbed
Norman Shaw style stack to right at junction with main house. Sash
fenestration with four glazing bar sash windows to first floor under
gauged brick cambered heads. Three taller windows below. Small part
glazed doors to ground floor right in re-entrant angle. Lower hipped
roof wing to right angles at left end.
Main house: massive gable, jettied on moulded bressumer, with four
brackets, two to ends and one either side of centre. Three louvred
"breathers" under bracketed flat hoods to gable apex with three casement
windows below under similar hoods and two leaded shallow angle bay wood
framed casements on first floor flanking one 2-light casement to centre.
Projecting ground floor with central break containing three leaded
mullioned and transomed windows. Doric columned two bay arcade either
side with keystones supporting entablature, blocked to left. One bay
return to right end. End stack to right with angle bay attached to
plinth, linking to right hand range set back. Plinth with coved eaves
course and flat roof and flat roofed multi-light dormers. Three casement
windows on first floor, 3 windows below. Panelled doors in left side of
ground floor to centre.
Rear: three large dormers with heavy gables, jettied on braces. Angle bay
to right end. Tall staircase window and stone mullioned oriel to centre.
Tudor style wing to left.
Interior: considerable amounts of panelling visible, C18 and part C20
staircase with barley-sugar balusters and scrolled tread ends - taken
from a house in Chiswick. Baroque fireplace surround and C19 plaster
panelled ceiling to ground floor room on left.
Gardens originally laid out by Gertrude Jekyll.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) page 451.
Listing NGR: SU9337545453
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings